7 Best Natural Remedies For Treating Fatty Liver Disease
Fatty liver disease is common among people who have an irregular and erratic lifestyle. Alcohol consumption, unhealthy diet, and lack of exercise everything can lead to this disease. If you are suffering from fatty liver disease, the first thing you should know is whether its alcohol induced or not. With proper diagnosis, you can change your lifestyle along with taking medications, if needed, to reverse this condition.
What is a fatty liver?
Your liver can be called 'fatty' if it contains more than 5 to 10 per cent of fat cell content in it. This might render it vulnerable to further inflammations or injuries.
What are the various health risks associated with fatty liver?
There are many health risks associated with fatty liver. For example - type 2 diabetes, malnutrition, rapid weight loss, obesity, high blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol in blood etc.
What are the symptoms of fatty liver disease?
Generally speaking, people do not observe any such symptoms, especially during the initial stages. However, some people do face the following:
- Vague discomfort
- Constant feeling of being unwell
- Loss of appetite
- Discomfort in the abdominal area
What are the natural remedies for fatty liver disease?
No such effective treatment is found as of now. It is a reversible condition and hence can be treated with a change in diet plan and other lifestyle amendments.
7 natural remedies are:
- Lemon - it helps in liver detoxification by helping the liver produce an enzyme known as glutathione. This is because lemon contains vitamins C that in turn helps in the production of glutathione.
How to consume - add two chopped lemons in a jug of water and consume it on regular intervals daily. Also, you can extract the juice from half a lemon and add it to a glass of water and drink it twice daily.
- Apple cider vinegar - one of the most effective natural ingredients that help reducing the fat accumulated around as well as in the liver. It also promotes weight loss.
How to consume - in a glass of lukewarm water add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. You can add honey. Drink it twice daily before meals.
- Green tea - this one is effective remedy for those with non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Green tea contains catechins that help in reducing infiltration of fat in the liver. It also helps in better liver function. It blocks fat storage in livers.
How to consume - you could take green tea extracts available in capsules under prescription from your physician. Or you could drink around 3 cups of green tea daily.
- Dandelion - it is a powerful herb that helps in detoxification of liver and metabolises the fat in liver . It is a powerful liver tonic that helps in better functioning of liver .
Do not consume if you are pregnant or diabetic.
How to consume - add one teaspoon of dried root of Dandelion to a cup of hot water. Keep it for 8 minutes and then strain it. You can add honey for taste. Drink this herbal drink twice a day. Otherwise add freshly cut Dandelion leaves to your daily salad and eat it.
- Turmeric - loaded with antioxidants this herb is said to prevent fatty liver disease. It is said to improve body's fat digesting ability.
How to consume - you could consult your doctor and avail turmeric supplements. You could alternatively add one fourth teaspoon of organic turmeric powder to a galas of boiled water or warm milk and drink it.
- Papaya - papaya effectively burns off excess fat in the body. In ayurvedic sciences, papaya seeds and papaya fruit both help in curing fatty liver disease.
How to consume - you could drink raw papaya soup or a slice of papaya everyday with your diet. You could also, crush 5 dried papaya seeds and mix it with a tablespoon lemon juice and consume twice daily for about a month.
- Indian gooseberry or amla - a powerful detox and rich source of antioxidants, Indian gooseberry helps in keeping the liver functioning at its optimal level.
How to consume - mix one teaspoon of dried Indian gooseberry powder in a glass of warm water and drink it. Or, eat 3 to 4 raw amlas daily.
Before trying out any of these natural remedies, do consult your physician for better guidance. Often they negatively interact with your ongoing medications or treatment procedures and cause more harm. Hence, it's better to look before you leap, always.