Advertisement
Dailyhunt Logo
News|Video|Viral
homenewstrending topicssports
More
News and Featured
Daily Share
Politics
SIR In States
Her Tribe
All Hashtags
  • Light mode
    Follow system
    Dark mode
  • Select preferred languages

    • enenglish
    • hihindi
    • mrmarathi
    • gugujarati
    • papunjabi
    • bnbangla
    • knkannada
    • tatamil
    • tetelugu
    • mlmalayalam
    • ororiya
    • ururdu
    • bhbhojpuri
    • nenepali
    • asassamese
    • Play Story
    • App Story
Advertisement

Latest News & Videos

Cincinnati Open: Williams sisters beaten on doubles return

Cincinnati Open: Williams sisters beaten on doubles return

S erena and Venus Williams lost in their first doubles match together since 2022 at the Cincinnati Open on Monday. Quick summary - click for full details Concise summary of key highlights Cincinnati Open: Williams sisters beaten on doubles return In one lineSerena and Venus Williams lost their first doubles match together since 2022 at the Cincinnati Open.Key facts• First doubles returnThe Williams sisters played doubles together for the first time since the 2022 US Open, marking a long-awaited reunion.• Match outcomeThey lost 2-6, 6-1, 8-10 to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns after rallying from 0-6 in the final set.• Reaction to returnBoth sisters described the experience as fun and special, despite the loss, highlighting their enduring bond.• Venus's singles defeatVenus Williams also competed in singles at the Cincinnati Open but was beaten 2-6, 2-6 by Emiliana Arango.Key statistics14Williams sisters' Grand Slam doubles titles3Williams sisters' Olympic gold medals in doubles2022 US OpenWilliams sisters' last doubles match before CincinnatiSerena: 44, Venus: 46Williams sisters' agesProcessed with AI. Reviewed by DH Digital Team. The Williams sisters lost 2-6, 6-1, 8-10 to Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk and American Peyton Stearns, coming back from 0-6 down in the tiebreaker before a double-fault by Venus sealed their fate. "I thought it was fun, I thought it was special, I thought it was good," Serena, 44, told reporters. "We kicked off a little rust in the middle of the match. We were starting to feel it, and it was really fun. It was really cool to be able to do this again." The Williams sisters have won 14 major doubles titles, including six at Wimbledon and three Olympic gold medals. They last played doubles together at the 2022 US Open, where they lost to Czechs Lucie Hradecka and Linda Noskova. The Americans were due to compete in the doubles draw at Wimbledon, but were forced to pull out after Serena sustained a knee injury during her opening-round singles defeat. They were awarded a wild card for Cincinnati earlier this month. Knee effusion: Condition that forced Serena Williams to pull out of Wimbledon "I think we've waited a long time to get back on the doubles court, even this year. Eventually, we find our way to each other," Venus, 46, added. Venus also competed in the singles draw in Cincinnati, where she was beaten 2-6, 2-6 by Colombian Emiliana Arango. (With inputs from agencies)
Deccan Herald

Deccan Herald

• 9m ago

'Ask him to collect leftover of his wife': Twisha Sharma told sister-in-law in last message

'Ask him to collect leftover of his wife': Twisha Sharma told sister-in-law in last message

Hindustan Times

Hindustan Times

•9m ago
CJP's Abhijeet Dipke To Join Political Party? Union Minister Invites Him To Join BJP-Led NDA

CJP's Abhijeet Dipke To Join Political Party? Union Minister Invites Him To Join BJP-Led NDA

OneIndia

OneIndia

•12m ago
Advertisement
'When I became MLA, Amit Shah was a kid; don't teach us patriotism': Kharge slams Union Home Minister

'When I became MLA, Amit Shah was a kid; don't teach us patriotism': Kharge slams Union Home Minister

Zee News

Zee News

•14m ago
Advertisement

Politics

"Congress leaders need not act small-minded": Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy on Vande Mataram row

"Congress leaders need not act small-minded": Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy on Vande Mataram row

H assan (Karnataka) [India], August 18 (ANI): Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy launched a sharp attack on the Congress over an alleged disruption during the rendition of Vande Mataram at the party's Independence Day programme, saying Congress leaders should not act "small-minded" on the national song. Speaking to reporters, Kumaraswamy said Vande Mataram should be respected at every government programme and by all political parties. "Vande Mataram should be respected in every government program. Parliament has already passed a bill to honour it as the national song. It is the feeling of most people that everyone should respect it, and it is the duty of all parties to do so. Congress leaders need not act small-minded on this," he said. He added, "Mahatma Gandhi first publicly adopted 'Vande Mataram' in a Congress party meeting. I want to tell Congress leaders not to stoop to pettiness. What can you expect from Sonia Gandhi? Regarding what happened in the Congress' Independence Day program, they are giving reasons like 'we were arranging chairs'. The truth is before the people now. It is not that easy to get away by lying." BJP MP Bhola Singh accused Congress leaders of insulting the nation and said, "If the mindset of the Congress leaders had been right, then the country would not have been divided. Even after 80 years, there is no change in the mentality of Congress leaders. During their Independence Day event, Sonia ji, Rahul ji and Kharge ji interrupted Vande Mataram. In their recent national executive meeting, the full Vande Mataram was not played. This is an insult to the nation. The public will never forgive Congress leaders." BJP leader Guru Prakash, speaking in Patna, urged political unity on national symbols and said, "I think the country has taken note of the attempt made by the senior leader of the country's main opposition party. We need to rise above political lines and come together for the country's respect and sovereignty." The controversy erupted after visuals from the Congress headquarters showed senior leaders speaking while Vande Mataram was being recited. On Sunday, Union Home Minister Amit Shah accused the Congress of "shamelessness" over Vande Mataram, alleging that party leader Sonia Gandhi stopped the national song midway at the Congress headquarters. Referring to a video from the Congress headquarters, Shah said, "Look at their (Congress's) shamelessness. The anthem Vande Mataram was being sung at the Congress Party headquarters. During the anthem, Congress leader Sonia Gandhi told the Congress President to stop singing. We all just kept watching on TV." "Sonia ji, 140 crore people are watching you. This sin you have committed will never be forgiven by the people of this country. How can anyone even dream of leaving the anthem Vande Mataram incomplete? The people of Congress should feel ashamed," he said while addressing a public gathering. The controversy erupted after visuals from the Independence Day programme at the Congress headquarters showed senior party leaders speaking among themselves while Vande Mataram was being recited. BJP leaders have criticised their conduct, alleging that it amounted to disrespect towards the National Song. BJP leader Amit Malviya alleged that Sonia Gandhi had objected to the full rendition of the National Song during the Independence Day event at the Congress headquarters. Malviya claimed that Sonia Gandhi became "agitated" after the initial stanzas were sung and asked for the rendition to be stopped, while Rahul Gandhi also appeared to signal that it should end. He alleged that the song was nevertheless allowed to continue and was eventually sung in full. However, the Congress asserted that Sonia Gandhi's actions had nothing to do with the national song played at the venue. The party maintained that she was merely trying to ensure that the correct arrangements for Vande Mataram were sung properly in the event. (ANI)
ANI

ANI

• 9m ago

"Arrogant govt rains bullets from AK-47s": RJD chief Yadav calls on students to unite for Patna protest

"Arrogant govt rains bullets from AK-47s": RJD chief Yadav calls on students to unite for Patna protest

ANI

ANI

•43m ago
BJP appoints state in-charges for UP, Punjab, and Gujarat ahead of Assembly Elections 2027

BJP appoints state in-charges for UP, Punjab, and Gujarat ahead of Assembly Elections 2027

ANI

ANI

•43m ago
Advertisement
Marjorie Taylor Greene Says Congress Knows Who Is Driving Up Drug Prices, Urges Lawmakers to Stop 'Fighting Like Drunk Football Fans'

Marjorie Taylor Greene Says Congress Knows Who Is Driving Up Drug Prices, Urges Lawmakers to Stop 'Fighting Like Drunk Football Fans'

Benzinga

Benzinga

•45m ago
Advertisement

World

Pak govt cracks down on protesting healthcare workers as Sindh protests expose systemic neglect

Pak govt cracks down on protesting healthcare workers as Sindh protests expose systemic neglect

K arachi [Pakistan], August 18 (ANI): Highlighting the deep-seated labour unrest and poor administrative handling of frontline healthcare personnel in Pakistan, Lady Health Workers (LHWs) from across Sindh staged a major sit-in at Teen Talwar in Clifton, demanding that the provincial government retain the LHW programme under the health department and immediately address long-pending issues regarding service structure and retirement benefits, according to a report by Dawn. The demonstration, organised under the banner of the All Sindh Lady Health Workers & Employees Union (ASLHWEU), concluded late in the evening on Monday after what officials termed as “successful" talks with the health secretary. The protest was originally planned at Bilawal Chowrangi in Clifton, but heavy police blockades forced the demonstrators to alter their route and move the venue. Reflecting the authorities’ high-handed response to peaceful worker agitations, the ASLHWEU leadership claimed that law enforcement agencies detained over 400 workers. However, a police official stated that around 150 lady health workers were picked up as they blocked the main road, adding that all of them were later released, Dawn reported. Addressing the gathered workers, central president of ASLHWEU Haleema Zulqarnain Laghari voiced firm opposition against transferring the management of the LHW scheme to private entities, including the People’s Primary Healthcare Initiative (PPHI). “Our primary demand is that we should be under the health department and allowed to continue working according to the LHW programme policy. We demand a proper service structure, time-scale promotions, pension and gratuity for our retired employees," she said. Laghari emphasised the systematic neglect faced by healthcare staff, pointing out that despite being regularised in 2012, LHWs remained stuck in lower grades even after 14 years of service, according to Dawn. General secretary of ASLHWEU Shama Gulani questioned the discriminatory practices in career advancement within the provincial healthcare setup. “When officers within the same programme are granted upgraded scales, why are lower-tier workers being denied the same opportunity?" she asked. The protesters further demanded the restoration of the medicine budget transferred to PPHI, along with maintenance and fuel allowances for supervisors’ vehicles. They stated that adequate district-level funds must be allocated through district health officers to guarantee uninterrupted access to medicines, equipment repairs and essential operational resources, Dawn reported. Senior vice president of the union Nasira Parveen noted that Monday’s demonstration formed part of a broader, ongoing peaceful struggle that commenced with a protest at the Hyderabad Press Club on July 3, followed by demonstrations at basic health units, rural health units and district headquarters. The ASLHWEU leadership appealed to PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, the Sindh Chief Minister and the provincial health minister to intervene and preserve the health initiative. “This is Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto’s programme. We urge PPP chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari to honour that legacy and grant frontline healthcare workers their legitimate rights," Laghari stated. The union leadership called for immediate dialogue with the Sindh government while urging trade unions, labour organisations, human rights activists and civil society groups to support their struggle for job security, fair career progression and basic labour rights. (ANI) (This content is sourced from a syndicated feed and is published as received. The Tribune assumes no responsibility or liability for its accuracy, completeness, or content.)
The Tribune

The Tribune

• 14m ago

Vessel struck by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz: Report

Vessel struck by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz: Report

The Tribune

The Tribune

•14m ago
Vessel struck by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz: Report

Vessel struck by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz: Report

ANI

ANI

•17m ago
Advertisement
'Second Amendment not a second-class right': Trump DOJ moves to restore gun rights for convicted felons

'Second Amendment not a second-class right': Trump DOJ moves to restore gun rights for convicted felons

WION

WION

•17m ago
Advertisement
Advertisement