Dailyhunt Logo
  • Light mode
    Follow system
    Dark mode
    • Play Story
    • App Story
Hantavirus Updates Of The Day: 8 May 2026 - More Countries Report Cases

Hantavirus Updates Of The Day: 8 May 2026 - More Countries Report Cases

Healthandme 2 weeks ago

A deadly case of hantavirus has been confirmed in Israel, while health authorities in the UK and Spain are investigating suspected infections in three individuals, raising fresh concerns over the spread of the rare rat-borne disease.

The case reported from is unlikely to be linked with the ongoing outbreak linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship, currently sailing to the Canary lslands.

The UK is suspecting its third case from a remote South Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha. Spain is suspecting its first case in a 32-year-old woman who shared an airplane with a MV Hondius cruise ship passenger who later died of hantavirus.

In a good news, suspected cases from Singapore and the Netherlands have reportedly turned negative.

The health officials across 12 countries have joined the WHO in contact tracing efforts. They are:

  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • The Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Türkiye
  • The United Kingdom
  • The United States of America

US CDC Classifies Outbreak As 'Level 3' Emergency

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) activated its Emergency Operations Centers and has classified the hantavirus outbreak as "Level 3" emergency.

Level 3 is the lowest level of emergency activation and is typical for this stage, ABC News reported.

It also signifies that the risk of the rat-borne virus to the general public remains low. However, the public health agency is actively monitoring the situation.

As per the media report, activating the Emergency Operation Centers signals that an emergency team, consisting of epidemiologists, scientists, and physicians, may have been set up to assist with the response.

No Immediate Public Health Threat To India, says ICMR

After reports of two Indian nationals infected with hantavirus aboard MV Hondius cruise ship, Dr Naveen Kumar, director of the ICMR's National Institute of Virology (NIV), said that there is "no immediate public health threat" to India.

Dr Kumar said the outbreak appears to be isolated, and that there is currently no evidence of community spread. He stressed that, unlike COVID-19, hantavirus does not spread easily between humans.

"The reported hantavirus cases appear to be isolated ones, and there is no immediate public health threat to India," he was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.

According to the World Health Organization, the Indian passengers were among a small cluster of suspected infections identified aboard the ship, with health authorities monitoring contacts and taking precautionary measures.

Surveillance Capacity Adequate In India

Kumar said India has sufficient laboratory infrastructure to detect suspected hantavirus cases through the ICMR-NIV and the nationwide Viral Research and Diagnostic Laboratory Network.

"India has diagnostic capacity for hantavirus infection through the ICMR-National Institute of Virology and the nationwide Viral Research and Diagnostic Laboratory Network of 165 labs," he said.

He said symptoms generally appear one to five weeks after exposure. It includes
fever,

  • severe body ache,
  • headache,
  • fatigue,
  • nausea,
  • abdominal pain,
  • dry cough.

The expert noted that people with severe cases may also suffer from breathing difficulties, low blood pressure, and kidney complications.

2 Indians Among Crew On MV Hondius Cruise Ship

Two Indians are among 149 people aboard MV Hondius, the expedition cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak that has so far left three passengers dead and eight others infected, according to a BBC report.

The vessel, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, began its journey from Ushuaia, Argentina, on April 1 and is currently travelling to Spain's Canary Islands on May 10.

According to the World Health Organization, eight people onboard the cruise ship MV Hondius have been infected with hantavirus. Of these, three have died, and five have been confirmed to have the virus. However, more people are likely to be infected, as the disease can take a long time to show symptoms.

The luxury cruise ship was carrying around 150 passengers and crew members from 28 countries.

The nationalities included 38 people from the Philippines, 31 from the United Kingdom, 23 from the United States, 16 from the Netherlands, 14 from Spain, nine from Germany, six from Canada and two crew members from India, BBC reported.

While it is yet not known whether they're infected or not, Dr Puneet Misra, Professor of Community Medicine, AIIMS Delhi, told ANI News Agency that it is likely that the two passengers "might have been exposed to the infection".

He added that "there is no pandemic or epidemic threat" with hantavirus. "The public should not worry. There is no need for panic..."

"Andes strain may be only hantavirus strain known to spread human-to-human, but requires prolonged close physical contact and is far less transmissible than COVID-19," Former WHO deputy director-general Soumya Swaminathan was quoted as saying to PTI.

Follow this page for all latest updates.

Read more news like this on www.healthandme.com

Dailyhunt
Disclaimer: This content has not been generated, created or edited by Dailyhunt. Publisher: Healthandme