Dhar, Madhya Pradesh: At least 15 people, including several women, children and teenagers, were killed and multiple others critically injured after a pickup vehicle carrying around 35 passengers overturned in Madhya Pradesh's Dhar district on Wednesday, officials said.
The accident, which is suspected to have been caused by overloading, left 8-10 people in extremely critical condition.
Officials confirmed the death toll after a large-scale rescue and hospital response. Indore Divisional Commissioner Dr Sudam Khade, who visited the district hospital, said, "officially confirmed 15 deaths so far."
Describing the condition of the injured, Dr Chhatrapal Singh Chauhan, duty doctor at District Bhoj Hospital, said, "A pickup vehicle crashed with about 35 people on board. All patients have been brought here. Between 10-15 people have died, and the condition of 8 to 10 patients remains extremely critical."
The victims included young children and teenagers as well as women from nearby villages. Those declared brought dead include: Tanu/Omesh, a 9-year-old girl; Kiran, a 9-year-old girl; Sumit, a 14-year-old boy; Aayush, a 14-year-old boy; Gokul, a 15-year-old boy.
A large number of the deceased were women from Nayapura, Semlipura and Rampura villages, including: Rinku, 19; Ranjana, approximately 20; Ranjna, 25; Savitr, 30; Anguri, 35; Bhuri, 35; Sangeeta, approximately 35; Sunita, 42; Maina, 45; and Kanta, 45.
Union Minister of State Savitri Thakur and Indore Divisional Commissioner Dr Sudam Khade visited the hospital to meet the injured and oversee medical arrangements.
"We visited the hospital to meet those injured in the unfortunate incident. The government stands firmly with them during this time. I have issued clear instructions to the doctors to provide top-quality treatment without any negligence. We pray for their speedy recovery", MP Savitri Thakur said.
Critically injured patients are being shifted to Indore for specialised care, while local authorities have launched an investigation into the accident. Preliminary findings suggest the vehicle was overloaded, which may have led to the driver losing control.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the tragedy and announced ex gratia assistance from the PM National Relief Fund.
"Deeply pained to hear about the loss of lives in an accident in Dhar, Madhya Pradesh. I extend my heartfelt condolences to those who have lost their loved ones in this mishap. Prayers for the speedy recovery of the injured," the Prime Minister said.
The PMO also announced that an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh each will be given to the next of kin of the deceased, while the injured will receive Rs 50,000.

