BEST To Add More Tejaswini Buses To Its Fleet
The Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) has a daily ridership of 33 lakh commuters out of which 12 lakh are female commuters. In a bid to cater to women commuters, Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) recently announced that it will be adding more Tejaswini buses to its fleet. Introduced in December 2019, Tejaswini buses have only women commuters and are currently ply on routes that are in commercial areas like Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC), Colaba, Bandra and Nariman Point.
BEST had procured 37 minibuses for Tejaswini out of which 26 are currently being used. The remaining 11 will be added to its fleet soon. BEST is looking at a possibility to make Tejaswini buses an all-women bus and as a part of this, it is planning to deploy women conductors and drivers in some buses.
The bus is 27-seater and costs ₹27 lakhs per bus. The buses are equipped with CCTV Cameras and a panic button. In 2019, the state government had announced to allot around 300 buses in cities such as Mumbai, Navi-Mumbai, Thane, Pune, Nagpur and Kalyan-Dombivli. Each city has been allotted 50 women-only buses by the state government. You can check out Mumbaikars view on this women's special bus here.
BEST has added many new routes to its fleet, here's the complete list:
- Bus no. 7 LTD will run from Dr SPM Chowk to Rani Laxmibai Chowk between 12:15 am and 12:30 pm. Two buses will run on this route.
- Three buses from Dr. S.P.M. Chowk to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus from 11:30 pm on Wednesday to 12:30 am on Thursday.
- Five new buses from Dr. S.P.M. Chowk to Ahilyabai Holkar Chowk Churchgate Station (East) between 10 am and 11 pm.
- Three additional buses will be added for route no 203 which will run from Andheri Station (West) to Juhu Beach between 11 pm and 11:30 pm on Wednesday.
- Five additional buses will run from Santacruz Station (West) to Juhu Bus Station between 10 pm to 11:15 pm on Wednesday.
- There will be additional buses running (on route No 247) between Borivali Station (West) and Gorai Creek. The buses will operate on route number 294 while returning.