BMC sets up a 250-bed Quarantine facility at Powai
With the number of cases of COVID-19 on the rise, BMC has been ramping up its facilities to make sure that there is no shortage. In line with the same, the civic body today announced that it has set up a 250-bed quarantine facility at Powai. They have achieved this by transforming BMC's training facility, MCMCR.
In order to achieve this in record time, BMC also thanked Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry President Mr Nayan Shah, along with Mr Vikas Oberoi & Mr Prashant Sharma.
This information was shared by BMC on its Twitter handle. It has been further retweeted by Aaditya Thackeray with the caption #StrongerTogether #WarAgainstVirus.
#StrongerTogether— माझी Mumbai, आपली BMC (@mybmc) March 28, 2020
250-bed Quarantine facility set up at Powai by transforming BMC's training facility, MCMCR.
BMC's partnership with @MCHI_President Mr Nayan Shah, along with Mr Vikas Oberoi & Mr Prashant Sharma made it possible in record time.#SocialDistancing #NaToCorona https://t.co/yM9wc047xm pic.twitter.com/j1cO95fQha
In addition to this, BMC is also working at breaking neck speed to set up 1,000 more isolation beds in its peripheral and speciality hospitals. This facility is expected to be up and running in the coming week itself.
At present, all patients that are testing positive are being admitted to BMC-run Kasturba hospital. In this hospital, there is an isolation ward and a testing facility for Coronavirus or COVID-19. In addition to this, cases which are still in the suspect list or whose results are awaited are being admitted in KEM and Hindu Hruday Samrat Balasaheb Thackeray trauma care hospital in Jogeshwari.
These beds are being readied in hospitals such as Bhagwati (Borivli), Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar (Kandivli) and S V D Savarkar (Mulund-E). Beds will also be set up in civic speciality hospitals like Atmasingh Jethasingh ENT municipal hospital (Fort) and Acworth leprosy hospital (Wadala). These hospitals are being made ready as per the directions that were shared in a circular dated March 24, which also adds that some of these hospitals may require minor engineering work.
The overall plan is to have over 2,000 beds in Mumbai. However, in the current scheme of these out of these 1,000 beds 60 per cent will come from government hospitals such as JJ and GT and the rest 40 per cent will be provided by the private hospitals.