A stand-up comedy show in Bengaluru was disrupted after supporters of a political party allegedly stormed the stage and demanded an apology from a Telugu comedian over jokes made nearly two years ago.
Sarat Uday, a Hyderabad-based comic, had just begun his solo performance at Ministry of Comedy in Koramangala on April 25 when several people reportedly entered the venue and confronted him.
According to reports, the group objected to jokes Uday had made in an old YouTube video about N. Chandrababu Naidu and Nara Lokesh.
They allegedly demanded that he apologise again and chant political slogans. Uday reportedly refused to do so.
Police were called to the venue, but the group had reportedly left before officers arrived.
Despite the tense interruption, the two-hour performance later resumed and continued as scheduled.
Uday said the incident was upsetting, especially because it happened during a live performance in Bengaluru. He added that it was the first such disruption in his seven-year comedy career.
The jokes in question were part of a video uploaded in December 2024 titled 'Andhra Politics', where he commented on multiple political leaders.
Following backlash at the time, Uday had already issued a public apology stating that some viewers found the jokes hurtful and in poor taste.
The incident comes amid recent police action in Andhra Pradesh involving other comedians over political remarks.
The Bengaluru disruption has renewed debate around freedom of expression, artistic space and the growing pressure faced by performers over political satire.
Uday later said artists should be allowed to do their work, while any unlawful act should be dealt with through legal means.

