Thursday, 23 Sep, 11.51 pm News9 Live

Latest News
NewsClick suspends Sanjay Rajoura's show after #MeToo allegation against comedian

The following report contains mentions of sexual misconduct. Reader discretion is advised.

*

NewsClick has suspended Sanjay Rajoura’s show, Bharat Ek Mauj, a day after an anonymous sexual harassment allegation against the popular stand-up comedian was shared on Instagram.

On Thursday, September 23, NewsClick issued a

on its social media handles to the effect that Rajoura’s show was suspended until such time as the details of the accusation were investigated.

“In view of an allegation of sexual harassment against Sanjay Rajoura, NewsClick has suspended the show he anchors with us. Mr Rajoura will not be anchoring any shows with us until the matter is resolved,” the statement read.

NewsClick’s statement did not elaborate on whether the organisation would be conducting an inquiry of its own into the allegation.

On Wednesday, an anonymous Instagram account, using the handle @metoo_tara, shared two posts detailing alleged sexual misconduct on the part of Rajoura.

The two posts, both of which are purportedly by an individual who identifies as “a cis-woman in her 20s” and by the moniker Tara, describe escalating sexual coercion, disregarding consent and boundaries, lewd treatment, and gaslighting, allegedly on the part of Rajoura.

In the Instagram post, “Tara” writes that she was influenced by Rajoura’s public persona as a progressive feminist and initially second-guessed her apprehensions when his conduct towards her raised several “red flags”.

Among the accusations levelled against Rajoura in the Instagram post are initiating sexual activity when Tara was not yet ready for it, pressuring her into sharing nude photos and participate in an explicit video, using threats of self-harm to ensure she didn’t discuss her misgivings with others or do anything to jeopardise Rajoura’s reputation.

Tara further wrote that she was not sharing any proof of her accusations against Rajoura as her intention was not to convince anyone else of the veracity of her account, but to unburden herself of trauma.

Rajoura refuted the allegation in a post shared to Facebook on Thursday morning.

Stating his support for the #MeToo movement, the comedian said that the accusation had emerged from a woman he identified by the initials “SM” who had been harassing him for the past three months. Rajoura said SM had initially called him in July, and said a mutual friend had disclosed that she had been assaulted by Rajoura when she visited his home in March 2020.

Rajoura said after he rebutted the details shared by SM, beginning with the fact that he wasn’t home in March 2020 but stuck at a friend’s house in Delhi due to the nationwide COVID-19 lockdown, she began a “whisper campaign” against him, culminating in the #MeToo post on September 22.

Rajoura’s statement can be read in full here.

The second wave of the #MeToo movement, which was triggered in India three years ago, saw many prominent male personalities being accused of sexual harassment at the workplace and in other spheres.

The post NewsClick suspends Sanjay Rajoura’s show after #MeToo allegation against comedian appeared first on NEWS9 LIVE.

*

NewsClick has suspended Sanjay Rajoura’s show, Bharat Ek Mauj, a day after an anonymous sexual harassment allegation against the popular stand-up comedian was shared on Instagram.

On Thursday, September 23, NewsClick issued a on its social media handles to the effect that Rajoura’s show was suspended until such time as the details of the accusation were investigated.

Rajoura’s statement can be read in full here.



For more local news from your area, download our new local video app PublicVibe.

Dailyhunt
Disclaimer: This story is auto-aggregated by a computer program and has not been created or edited by Dailyhunt. Publisher: News9 Live
Top