Godrej Group Stands in Solidarity With India's Efforts to Overcome COVID-19
- Launches a slew of initiatives; earmarks a fund of INR 50 crore for support and relief
MUMBAI, March 27, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The Godrej Group stands in solidarity with the people of India and the Government's efforts to overcome the unprecedented coronavirus pandemic, which is impacting the lives of millions of people, and countries across the globe. It will try to serve its customers, employees, communities and country to the best of its capabilities and especially support health personnel, government workers, and everyone working tirelessly to curb the spread of this pandemic.
To start with, Godrej Group is earmarking a fund of INR 50 crore for community support and relief initiatives in India. This is an initial outlay and it hopes to supplement it over time. The fund will back some of the following initiatives underway focused on public health and essential supplies, as well as additional efforts in the months ahead.
Medical equipment and protective supplies
Godrej Group has started its work in Maharashtra, which is among the most affected regions in the country, with roughly 21% of total cases. It will extend this support to other states as well.
- Buying and supplying medical equipment and protective supplies for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
- Donated INR 5 crore to the BMC
- Donated 115 hospital beds to Maharashtra government hospitals
- Helped set up a 75-bed quarantine center at the Seven Hills hospital, Andheri
Product innovation and supplies
As the second-largest maker of soap in India, Godrej Group will do its best to ramp up innovation and supplies to serve the country.
It recently launched the #ProtektIndiaMovement, a nationwide multi-media and multi-channel campaign to promote mass awareness around handwashing and public health. As part of this, they have:
- Supported the free distribution of 1 million packets of Godrej Protekt Mr. Magic powder-to-liquid hand wash (one of the world's most affordable hand washes) in Maharashtra through partnership with the BMC and Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC)
- Partnered with communities linked to the CSR programmes to support 1.12 lakh beneficiaries across eight states with hand wash, sanitisers and soap
- Donated sanitisers to the Mumbai police force
- Begun ramping up capacity to meet the demand for soap, hand wash and sanitisers
- Initiated outreach through various networks and hand wash education programmes
Its leading furniture brand in India is doing a lot of innovation in health care and hospital furniture, to create ergonomically designed healing environments. They are directing specific efforts to help secure the health and safety of the nation. The BMC has enlisted Godrej Group as providers of essential services and given the green signal for commencing factory and warehouse operations. They are actively collaborating with the BMC to ensure they meet the demand requirements.
Godrej Group is also exploring how it can leverage its medical refrigerators business, construction capabilities to build quarantine rooms, and expertise in mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems for hospitals, to serve the country at this time.
Support at factories and construction sites
Godrej Group is committed to supporting the contract labour and workers at factories and construction project sites. As one of India's largest real estate players, they are particularly concerned about the acute problems being faced by migrant labourers. Towards this, they have initiated focused efforts:
- Ensured that the project sites across 8 cities are being sanitised frequently, and have health screenings and adequate food and hygiene supplies
- Set up isolation facilities at its labour accommodation and closely monitoring the needs of its people to ensure quick responsiveness
Godrej Group will continue to build on these efforts with safety, compassion, ideas and hard work (even if it is from afar), so that it can come out stronger on the other side.
About Godrej Group:
Established in 1897, the Godrej Group has its roots in India's Independence and Swadeshi movement. Our founder, Ardeshir Godrej, lawyer-turned-serial entrepreneur failed with a few ventures, before he struck gold with a locks business. Today, we enjoy the patronage of 1.1 billion consumers globally across consumer goods, real estate, appliances, agriculture and many other businesses. In fact, our geographical footprint extends beyond Earth, with our engines now powering many of India's space missions.
With revenue of over USD 5 billion we are growing fast, and have exciting, ambitious aspirations. But for us, it is most important that besides our strong financial performance and innovative, much-loved products, we remain a good company.
Approximately 23 per cent of the promoter holding in the Godrej Group is held in trusts that invest in the environment, health and education. We are also bringing together our passion and purpose to make a difference through our Good & Green strategy of 'shared value' to create a more inclusive and greener India. At the heart of all of this, are our people. We take much pride in fostering an inspiring workplace, with an agile and high performance culture. We are also deeply committed to recognising and valuing diversity across our teams.