Dailyhunt
Three more arrested in Rs 3-crore cyber fraud case

Three more arrested in Rs 3-crore cyber fraud case

The Tribune 3 days ago

The police have busted an interstate gang involved in a "digital arrest" fraud with the arrest of three more accused.

An elderly woman of Panchkula was duped of about Rs 3 crore by fraudsters posing as CBI officers.

They had threatened the victim with implication in a money-laundering case.

A team of the Cyber Crime Police Station had carried out raids in different states and arrested eight accused so far. In fresh arrests, Rahul Singh Roy, Somendra Nath Biswas and Subhash Das were nabbed from Kolkata. They were produced in the court today and remanded in seven-day police custody.

On December 4, 2025, the victim received a call from an overseas number. The caller, claiming to be a telecom company employee, said her mobile number was being suspended. The call was then transferred to another person who claimed to be a CBI officer and accused her of money laundering. The accused sent her fake case details via WhatsApp. They put the woman under "digital arrest" and threatened her that if she informed anyone, she and her children would be killed. She broke her FD, redeemed mutual funds and transferred a total of Rs 2.98 crore to various bank accounts as told by the fraudsters.

Delhi resident Nitin Singhal was the first accused to be arrested in the case. Subsequently, Ajay, Ram and Raman Kumar were arrested from Mohali and Uttar Pradesh. On the basis of disclosures made by Singhal, the police arrested Izhar Ahmed in May 2026.

Dailyhunt
Disclaimer: This content has not been generated, created or edited by Dailyhunt. Publisher: The Tribune