A court has acquitted nine men in a case related to the 2020 Delhi riots, saying that the testimonies cannot be relied upon in the case as they lacked specificity and were general in nature.
Additional Sessions Judge Parveen Singh was hearing the case against nine persons -- Shah Alam, Rashid Saifi, Mohammad Shadab, Habib, Irfan, Suhail, Salim alias Ashu, Irshad, and Azhar alias Sonu -- who were arrested in a loot and arson case linked to the northeast Delhi riots.
In an order dated March 30, the court said, "Testimonies are general in nature, lack specificity especially in view of the fact that these witnesses have deposed falsely with regard to the place of incident...I find that it will be unsafe to rely upon the testimonies of these witnesses to convict the accused." The accused were arrested in the case registered at Dayalpur police station in connection with the vandalization of an Innova Crysta car, the burning of a motorcycle, the looting of street vendors' carts, and the arson of a shop named 'Royal Motors' during the riots which erupted in Chand Bagh area of the national capital. Noting contradictions in the testimonies of eyewitnesses, the court said that the investigating officer in the case recorded the wrong date of incident as February 24, but the incident happened on February 25, 2020.
"The witness was so categorical and insistent about the fact that a wrong date of incident had been projected by the police, that he had approached the DCP of the area and gave a representation that IO had wrongly recorded the date of incident," the judge said.

