New Delhi: India on Thursday issued its first response to US President Donald Trump over his controversial remarks referring to India and China in a derogatory immigration-related post.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said it has seen the reports but refrained from offering a detailed comment.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a media briefing, "We have seen some reports. That's where I leave it."
What triggered the controversy
The remarks came after Trump reshared an anti-immigration post on his platform Truth Social, which used the term "hellhole" while referring to countries including India and China.
The post criticised immigration policies in the United States and made broad claims about immigrant communities and integration.
The comments quickly sparked political backlash and criticism across multiple platforms.
The remarks triggered strong reactions from opposition parties, particularly the Congress, which termed the statement "extremely insulting and anti-India."
The party also criticised the government, demanding a stronger response from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and said the remarks hurt Indian citizens globally.
The controversy has added to ongoing political debate around India-US relations and immigration discourse.
Broader diplomatic context
The incident comes at a sensitive time in India-US relations, which have seen both cooperation and friction on trade, immigration, and geopolitical issues.
India has so far maintained a measured diplomatic stance, avoiding escalation while acknowledging the remarks at an official level.
While India has not announced any formal diplomatic protest, the issue is likely to remain under discussion in political and diplomatic circles, especially given its impact on diaspora relations and international perception.
For now, New Delhi appears to be maintaining a cautious position, limiting its response to a formal acknowledgment.

